Our Mission StatementThe Children's Museum & Theatre of Maine exists to inspire discovery and imagination through exploration and play.
The Museum & Theatre serves as an indispensable resource for families and educators, helping to create a broad community devoted to our children's development and learning.
Our OrganizationThe Museum & Theatre is a significant and valuable community asset, offering a broad and diverse array of educational and cultural enrichment opportunities especially developed for children ages 0-10 and the adults who accompany them.
To receive a physical copy of our annual report, please contact the Development Office at 207-828-1234 x242 or . Please click here to download a virtual copy of our fiscal year 2015 Annual Report.
Learn More About the Children's Museum & Theatre of Maine
Long Range Focus
After careful study of community needs, available resources, and capacity, we established four areas of focus:
- Science Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Multicultural Education
- Arts Education
- Our work within the Museum reaches children 6 months to 10 years of age, as well as their families and caregivers.
- Our main stage Theatre productions include cast and crew members ages 8 to 17. Shows are enjoyed by audiences of all ages.
- Our outreach and programming serve students and educators throughout the state, in classes from Pre-K through 5th grade.
- One of four children's museums in the world to receive the MetLife Promising Practice Award (2012)
- Named one of the 12 Best Children's Museums in the US by Forbes (2012)
- Winner of the Nickelodeon's Parents' Pick Award for the Best Museum in Portland (2009)
- Awarded Museums for America grant from Institute of Museum and Library Sciences in support of We Are Maine, a multicultural exhibit reflecting the diversity of our local community (2006)
- Ranked #14 on Child Magazine's list of top children's museums in the country (2002)
- Selected by Eastman Kodak as a host site for an ongoing Camera Obscura exhibit; one of fewer than 20 in the United States (1996)
Thank you for visiting.We hope to see you at the Museum & Theatre very soon!
back to top