For Children with Special Needs
Play Our Way
Come experience the Children's Museum & Theatre of Maine during a low-key, inclusive playtime for children with sensory integration challenges and their families!
Our staff will make special adjustments to our exhibit lighting and sound design, and noise-reducing headphones will be available.
- For upcoming Play Our Way playtimes, please check our Calendar of Events.
Need more info? Contact Lily O'Brien, Educator at the Children's Museum & Theatre at 828-1234 x227 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for a great visitChildren of all needs and abilities are welcome and encouraged to play at the Museum & Theatre. We value all styles of learning, and our exhibits and programs are designed to inspire open-ended play. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to learn here! See below for some tips that may be helpful as you plan your visit with a child with special needs. If you have questions or suggestions, contact us.
If your child is sensitive to crowds:
- Stop by during a quiet time... Generally, the Museum & Theatre is quieter at the following times: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons during the school year; Sunday mornings.
- ...and avoid the busiest times. We have the largest crowds during school vacation weeks, on rainy days (especially in the summer), and on Saturdays. First Friday nights are also a busy time.
- Call ahead. Call us at 207-828-1234 x231 within a few days of your visit. We can tell you whether a large group (like a school field trip) is coming. Group visits last no longer than two hours, so you can plan your visit around them.
- Tune out the noise. We have noise-cancelling headphones available for you to borrow during your visit. Inquire at the front desk.
- Find a quiet spot. Many families have told us that they find the Book Nook on the second floor to be a good place to sit quietly when a child is over-stimulated.
Resources to help you plan:
- Look through our exhibits in advance.
- Browse the calendar of events to see what's happening on the day you visit.
- Visit our Parking Tips page for helpful parking information and printable parking map.