Programs are free with admission unless specified with a $. Programs that require advance registration are marked with an R. Call 828-1234 x231 for program topics and information.
All programs, activities and events are intended for all ages unless otherwise specified in the description. Our trained and prepared educators enjoy accommodating their activities and presentations to suit children and adults of all ages.
To see what's on the schedule for a specific date or time, check our online calendar of events or you can download a printable monthly calendar.
- Science Spotlight: The Museum & Theatre has a huge artifact collection including real and replica fossils, minerals, and more! Check our some of the collection in these spotlight programs.
- Dissection Workshops (R$): Observe what's inside fruit, owl pellets, or even squid! Check out the calendar for some of our upcoming dissection workshops, great for young scientists ages 4 and up.
- Field Trips (R$): We offer field trips throughout the year. Discover tide pool creatures, journey to other Maine museums, and more during these guided trips!
- Meet the Masters: Learn all about master artists like Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Frida Kahlo and more as we try our hand at different styles of art in this program, from painting to sculpture and beyond!
- Collaborative Art: Work together to create a masterpiece using a variety of materials in this ongoing program.
- Animation Workshops (R$): Young animation enthusiasts can try their hand at creating a stop-motion mini-movie!
- Open Art Studio: Paint, draw, collage - let your imagination guide you in this anything-goes art program.
- Kids on the Block Puppet Shows: Part of a national program, the Kids on the Block puppets come to life in the Dress-Up Theatre using Bunraku-style puppetry to tell real stories, just like real kids! You'll even get a chance to ask the puppets questions after the show.
- Little Plays (R$): Stories from the OWL pre-K curriculum serve as inspirations for these plays, great for our youngest audience members. You can even participate in a workshop after the performance! Little Plays are funded in part through the generous support of the Maine Arts Commission, an independent state agency supported by the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Mainey Acts Improv Comedy Shows (R$): Our improvisational theatre troupe made up of kids and adults will act out scenes on the spot in these hilarious monthly performances! Mainey Acts is sponsored by Yankee Restoration & Building. Want to join the Mainey Acts troupe? Email Reba for more info!
- Tiny Tots: Every Thursday morning from September to May, check out these tactile workshops designed for children 18-36 months of age.
- Story Times: Join us for a number of story times throughout the week in the Book Nook or We Are Maine exhibits.
- Meet the Animals!: Join our friends from the Animal Welfare Society of Kennebunk to meet real, live pets and learn all about pets and pet care in this monthly program.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics)The Children’s Museum & Theatre is one of Portland’s best and only resources for informal early childhood science education. Our STEM programming encourages children to apply science, math, spatial reasoning, critical thinking and technology skills to devise creative, open-ended solutions to common (and uncommon) situations.
Sponsored by Fairchild Semiconductor
Handwashing with the Germ AvengersJoin the Germ Avengers as they teach children and families about good hand hygiene. Look for programs that highlight the importance of hand washing and stopping the spread of germs.
Sponsored by Maine Medical Center
back to top